Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Ushering in the New Year

MICA (left) - "Still-life with Gouache" by Adriana, 5th Gr.(center) - "Self-Portrait" by Datwuan, 7th Gr.(right)

As I look back and review this past year, 2009 was a time of change. In the summer, I left New York - the only place I've ever lived in - and moved to Baltimore with my wife Jen. Left behind was my Queens apartment, subway commuting, and the music and art school I taught at for 3 years.


What lay ahead was wide open opportunity, a small quirky city to explore, and a handful of "Hons" thrown my way. I was given the opportunity to be a Teaching Artist with Creative Alliance and Young Audiences, where I taught 5th-7th graders for a semester, and really enjoyed my time and experience in the classroom. However, with some nudging support from Jen, I decided to follow my dreams and finally head back to art school after an 11 year hiatus.

In January, I'll begin a Post-Bac Program at Maryland Institute College of Art... a first step towards getting to where I want to be. So as 2009 comes to an end, I say a fond farewell to New York and to teaching in the classroom (For now), and I welcome with open arms, 2010 - A Year of ART, Debt, and unlimited possibilities.


Happy New Year!

No comments:

Post a Comment