Friday, September 18, 2009

Sometimes you need to look a little harder

Goya Contemporary, Hampden (left) - C. Grimaldis Gallery, Mt. Vernon (right)

FOR YEARS I'D FREQUENT the galleries in New York, and I've always had my favorite spaces which exhibited with certain sensibilities and sustained a visionary direction that connected with me. These galleries were often clustered within the same neighborhood, and sometimes on the same block. It would not be difficult for someone to come across these venues, as many of these spaces were store-front galleries with huge windows and glass doors offering views from the sidewalk. When they were housed within a larger building, it would be common to find many galleries nestled inside with plenty of posters and postcards planted outside letting art-walkers know exactly what's being exhibited inside.


As I familiarize myself with this new Baltimore art scene and its galleries, I continue to find differences - not necessarily bad - that I need to adjust to. Most noticeably is the proximity of quality art galleries from one to the other. No longer can I leisurely stroll around in one neighborhood for an afternoon, but here in Baltimore, they are scattered in various neighborhoods which I need to hop into my car and drive to. But once you get there, it's worth the trip... you just better look hard are you may pass it!


Three galleries that have really impressed me are Goya Contemporary located in the Hampden area, C. Grimaldis in Mount Vernon, and Gallery Imperato down in Federal Hill. They all showcase innovative and talented artists, while their curatorial sensibilities were equally impressive (I particularly enjoyed the current showing of South African-born/Baltimore-local artist, Jo Smail with her vibrantly colored and textured paintings at Goya). Each of these three spaces can easily be missed if you are not focused on looking out for it. With Goya and Imperato, both spaces are suites within larger establishments, and if I hadn't looked up its location and directions with plans to drive there, it would have been a while before I stumbled upon them accidentally. And finally, C. Grimaldis Gallery is not too far from where I live. But sandwiched between a cafe, a clothing boutique and eyeglass store, one could easily walk by the front steps you need to ascend to enter the space. But if you ever find yourself wandering around the Washington Monument and tired from walking up and down its hilly terrain, pop in for some fine contemporary art!


I'm still learning this new art scene and am continually finding some nice surprises. Coming this November, I will be showcasing some new paintings at Evergreen Cafe, north of JHU on Cold Spring Lane. Stay tuned for more details as the exhibition gets closer...


Evergreen Cafe (left) - Paintings; "Miles" and "Turpentine" 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment